How to prepare for the Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals certification
Resources and tips to help you prepare for the PL-900 exam to earn the "Microsoft Certified: Power Platform Fundamentals" certificate
Power Platform Fundamentals is a great starting point for aspiring power platform technical professionals, Power BI developers, or anyone looking to expand their knowledge with the power platform. The fundamentals provide a brief introduction and quick hands-on to get acquainted with the basics of the Power quad.
This article will list out the resources and tips that can help you on your journey to pass the PL-900 exam to get Microsoft's Power Platform Fundamentals certificate.
Power Platform Fundamentals certificate is an independent credential and doesn't have any pre-requisites. To earn this certificate, a candidate has to pass the exam PL-900. Microsoft provides a comprehensive learning and journey path for each of its certifications.
Exam Skills Outline
A candidate is evaluated on the following skills
- Describe the business value of Power Platform (15–20%)
- Identify the core components of Power Platform (15–20%)
- Demonstrate the capabilities of Power BI (15–20%)
- Describe the capabilities of Power Apps (15–20%)
- Demonstrate the capabilities of Power Automate (15–20%)
- Demonstrate the business value of Power Virtual Agents (10–15%)
You can take all Microsoft fundamental exams for free if you attend respective Microsft virtual training days. More on it later in the resource section.
If you work for an organization and have a 365 license, then the chances are that you could utilize your office subscription for hands-on and practice exercises. You can check your Microsoft product access rights at portal.office.com or reach out to your admin for confirmation. Then, log in using your work credentials or use a work machine.
The exam format is dynamic, and the number of questions and types of questions might differ for each participant. Microsoft does not specify the specific exam format or question types before the exam. A supplementary text will determine how to answer the question. Below is a general outline
- Exam duration: 100–120 mins
- Number of questions: 40–60
- Passing marks: 700 (max 1,000) — no penalty on wrong answers
- Question types: You can demo the exam experience by visiting the “exam sandbox” or referring to the Microsoft docs for samples
Recommended reading on scores:
Exam scoring and score reports
For most exams, you will receive your pass or fail result within a few minutes of completing your exam. You'll also…
- Setup a date for the exam before you start studying — Seriously, stop reading this and schedule the exam. Giving yourself a date to work towards is VERY motivating.
- Plan your study — We suggest you use Microsoft Learn as the primary study content for the exam.
- Spend enough time on each section topic- "Enough time" is relative for everyone, but this means you need to define how much you know of each section and how much you do not know or know little.
There are several resources at your disposal to get yourself familiar with the concepts. First, we will list free resources followed by paid resources.
Microsoft Learn: The Microsoft Learn Portal should be considered the primary source for your exam studies. Every exam and certificate page contains a predefined Microsoft recommended learning path covering every section of the measured skill. Additionally, some of the modules come with a hands-on exercise, follow side-by-side to reap the most significant benefits.
Microsoft Certified: Power Platform Fundamentals - Learn
Prove you understand the core capabilities of the Power Platform-from business value and core product capabilities to…
Microsoft Virtual Training Days: Microsoft experts provide regular and frequent virtual training for every fundamental exam. These trainings are run live and are available at no cost to everyone. Check the schedule and reserve your place in advance.
After completing this free training, you’ll be eligible to take the PL-900 exam at no cost. The “discount” is associated with your email.
Microsoft Virtual Training Days
Grow your skills and your potential Whether you're a cloud expert or a novice, or looking for real-world strategies to…
Microsoft Events: Microsoft events are a great way to help you expand your expertise, learn new skills, and build community. Events can be free or paid in nature; explore their evolving catalog to find a related event like Power Virtual Agents in a Day or App in a Day to expand your knowledge.
Further your goals with Microsoft events
Explore special events and learning opportunities created to help you expand your expertise, learn new skills, and…
Microsoft Instructor-Led Training Recordings: Microsoft Instructor-Led Training for the various Role-Based Exams are run live and recorded. These recordings are decent preparation material. When you click on a module link, it seems like you are signing up for a live session. However, you are registering to get access to the recording. You need to register for each module (it takes less than 1 minute), and you will receive a custom link by email.
Microsoft Power Platform fundamentals (PL-900) Learning Path
This course introduces skills through a series of Virtual Training Series (VTS) of between 1 and 2 hours each. To watch…
Instructor-Led Training (ILT): Microsoft has partnered with many vendors in most countries known as Microsoft Learning Partners to deliver course-specific training in various formats. ILTs are paid and delivered by a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT).
Course PL-900T00--A: Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals - Learn
Learn about the components of Microsoft Power Platform, ways to connect data, and how organizations can leverage this…
Enterprise Skills Initiative (ESI): The ESI program is an initiative by Microsoft to enable its partners to assist their employees in learning the skills they need to succeed with Azure and other Microsoft technologies. If you work for a Microsoft partner organization, then the chances are that you have access to the ESI portal or try reaching out to your talent development leads for guidance.
Third-party resources: Some third-party vendors like Udemy and Pluralsight also provide paid online courses. These courses are often available in packages and include theoretical course content, videos, practice tests, and practical exercises.
Several questions in the exam will test your practical knowledge of the Power Platform components, features, functionalities, and scenario-based questions. Thus, we recommend practicing as much as you can.
GitHub labs: Each Microsoft Azure exam is complemented with a Microsoft-recommended lab exercise to gain hands-on experience with each module.
GitHub - MicrosoftLearning/PL-900-Microsoft-Power-Platform-Fundamentals: PL-900 Microsoft Power…
To support this course, we will need to make frequent updates to the course content to keep it current with the Power…
Practice test and replay
Once you're ready to take the exam, you can measure your knowledge by taking the practice tests or assessments. These tests are paid and only mimic the exam.
Practice tests do not guarantee your success with the final exam and shall only be used to measure your preparedness.
Exam Replay: Exam replay is available as a special offer from Microsoft to increase your chances of succeeding in your exam. If you fail your exam, exam replay gives you a second chance to pass the exam.
In partnership with Pearson VUE, we offer special packages for exams and practice tests. We understand that taking…
Third-party sample questions: Some sample exam questions are also available on the Internet. A word of caution though, the answers and questions are not always correct and might be misleading or incorrect altogether. Refer to such content at your own risk.
Suggested study method
Everyone has their way of studying, but some of these suggestions have worked for others.
- Start with the MS learning path and the corresponding GitHub exercise to solidify your grasp on the concepts or opt for a paid third-party course.
- Take up a mini personal project to reinforce your overall understanding of the highest weighted components.
- Measure your learning with a practice test or go through the free sample questions. If you could answer most of them (in the case of free sample questions), you're ready for the final exam.
Tips for the first time exam takers
A Microsoft exam can be very daunting if you haven't taken an exam before. Below are some tips to ensure you don't feel overwhelmed and pass the exam.
- Make sure you have enough rest. Then, clear your mind and focus only on the exam.
- Read the test center or online exam rules beforehand and comply with the ID and test space (online mode only) requirements.
About online exams with Pearson VUE
Pearson VUE is a company Microsoft partners with to deliver exams. You can take many Microsoft Certification exams…
- Read the NDA beforehand to ensure you fully understand the requirements and agree to them without running out of time. You will get only 5 minutes to read it once the exam begins. If you do not agree to the NDA in the time allotted, you will not take the exam.
Microsoft Exam Non-disclosure Agreement
PLEASE READ THIS MICROSOFT CERTIFICATION EXAM AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT") CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING ON THE "YES" BUTTON, YOU…
- Demo the exam experience by visiting the “exam sandbox.” In the sandbox, you will be able to interact with the different question types available in the actual user interface that you will navigate during the exam. In addition, this experience includes the same introductory screens, instructions, and question type help information that you will see on your exam and the non-disclosure agreement that you must agree to before launching the exam.
- Don't panic while taking the exam. Instead, go through it at your own pace and read everything carefully.
- Make sure you set some timing checkpoints. E.g., if the exam is 30 questions long and you have 2 hrs, make sure you are close to halfway through the exam at the hour mark.
- Read everything in the question and answer carefully. Every word is there for a reason, and there is no fluff. Do not make assumptions because the answer is not based on assumptions; if something will not work because something is missing in the question statement, it is so for a reason.
Further reading on Exam policies and FAQs
Exam policies and FAQs
Around the world, partners and customers look to Microsoft to deliver the highest quality exams and certifications. The…
Good luck with your preparations and exam!